Java Software Engineer, Analytics Framework
Location: San Francisco but willing to consider excellent candidates in Denver or the NC Research Triangle area to work remotely.
Lucidworks is excited to announce a unique opportunity for a budding Java developer to take their career to the next level on a team of distributed systems experts. In this role, you’ll learn from some of the best practitioners in applied search, natural language processing, machine learning, and large-scale data analytics.
The Analytics Framework team is part of Lucidworks’ Fusion engineering group. Our mission is to build, evolve, and scale the core infrastructure that supports search relevancy tuning, recommendations, ML model serving, and large-scale data processing. We’re a small team that works closely with customers, data scientists from our CTO office, and field engineers to deliver actionable insights from data by leveraging techniques such as machine learning, SQL analytics, NLP, and experimentation. We’re the team that turns big ideas into pragmatic solutions for the Fusion AI platform.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Mix of new development, maintaining existing code, refactoring, and improving test coverage across a complex codebase that supports an evolving product with many existing customers in production
• Improve performance, stability, and usability of big data processing jobs in multiple environments such as AWS, Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux
• Participating in reviews with other team members to make sure your code is rigorously designed, elegantly coded, and effectively tuned for performance
• Willing to work with and improve on code you did not originally write
• Learning from data scientists, search, and big data experts; our motto is it’s ok if you don’t understand something, it’s not ok if you don’t ask for help
Required Experience and Skills
• BS in Computer Science, Math, related technical field
• 3-5 years experience building Java-centric enterprise software, including proficiency in databases, RESTful Web services, dependency injection (Spring/Guice), Java generics, and concurrency. Bonus points for having used Java 8 features such as lambdas, streams, and Optional.
• Working proficiency in developmental toolsets, such as: gradle, maven, git, jenkins, Linux command-line, IntelliJ, and Python scripting
• Strong interest in gaining experience with Scala, Spark, big data, Solr, SQL, and machine learning
• Can give and take constructive feedback in the form of code reviews, feature demos, and real-world scenario testing
• Eagerness to iterate on code design/construction with your peers as a critical part of the development process
• Willingness to commit extra effort to meet deadlines as required on a high profile and business critical team
It would be awesome if you have a portfolio on Github and/or open source contributions that showcase your skills in the areas described above.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
If this position sounds like a fit, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org