LucidWorks Delivers Scalable, Affordable Enterprise Search
LucidWorks Enterprise Builds on Open Source Solr/Lucene Innovation; Breaks Penalizing Cost Structure of Proprietary Search
SAN MATEO, Calif. – October 7, 2010 – LucidWorks, the commercial company for Apache Solr/Lucene search technology, today announced LucidWorks Enterprise, an open source enterprise search solution development platform built on Solr/Lucene. For application developers and architects with huge amounts of data, LucidWorks Enterprise is the only search platform that scales economically, thanks to its flexible, cost-effective architecture built on open source.
Companies are drowning in massive amounts of information. Total data volume doubles every 18 months, with the range of content and formats constantly changing. Proprietary search software providers have pricing structures that penalize enterprises trying to scale commercial proprietary solutions to match their data and document growth curve.
LucidWorks Enterprise lowers the cost of growth, with the scalability to address ever-increasing volume and the flexibility to tackle continuous change and diversity of content. It provides the exact information users need with sub-second response times on huge data stores, unleashing the disruptive innovation of open source. With attractively priced subscriptions, it delivers a well-integrated platform tailored to the needs of today’s technology-driven organizations, providing stability, security, robust interfaces, predictable release schedules, and timely expert support resources available 24x7x365.
- Accelerated Productivity, Cost-effective Architecture: LucidWorks Enterprise accelerates development and increases productivity for the broad range of search application developer skillsets, with ReST APIs that better weave search into application infrastructure. An admin and configuration console with smart defaults slashes the learning curve for developers new to Solr. Plus, a lightweight Security Framework integrates with existing security infrastructure to apply policies to the search infrastructure for documents and user permissions.
- Search Innovation, Improved results: Enriched document handling and search experience innovations deliver improved results with far less development effort, for novice and expert developers alike. For example, an innovative Click Scoring Relevancy Framework leverages ongoing user interaction with the search system automatically capturing which results a user selects for any given query – allowing search applications to effectively learn user preferences and adjust accordingly.
QUOTES AND MULTIMEDIA
“With LucidWorks Enterprise I get all the goodness of Solr/Lucene in a streamlined, well-packaged platform. The API layer makes it easy to integrate search into any application so we can quickly acquire content and data sources and automate critical operational tasks. LucidWorks Enterprise has essentially opened up use of Solr/Lucene to a much wider audience, making it much easier to use, and more reliable to deploy and operate.”
– Mike Vertal, President and CEO of Rivet Logic, a leading open source enterprise systems integrator
“The cost structure of proprietary enterprise search is a real drag on growth for companies that are driven by an appetite for timely access to actionable information. LucidWorks Enterprise offers innovative enhancements around document acquisition, results quality, streamlined application development and the search experience, while leveraging the open source model to deliver unprecedented flexibility in the underlying architecture. Business critical search need no longer be captive to the costly, rigid structures of proprietary commercial search software. ”
– Eric Gries, CEO of LucidWorks
“For application developers and architects, LucidWorks Enterprise really streamlines their entry into search application development, with some terrific conveniences and very useful features, all built around a complete release of Apache Solr. The scalability and speed are really unmatched, indexing millions of documents per hour, and searching upwards of 10 million documents with sub-second query and facet response on a typical modern 2-CPU server. That combination of power and convenience can unlock a tremendous amount of search innovation.”
– Brian Pinkerton, Chief Architect at LucidWorks
- View a demonstration of LucidWorks Enterprise
- Download screenshots of LucidWorks Enterprise
- Read further commentary on the LucidWorks blog
Annual Subscription: A LucidWorks Enterprise annual subscription for application deployment is available immediately. It includes unlimited use for development purposes, production deployment support for up to two servers, SLA-based incident management support during business hours Monday through Friday, and ExpertLink on-demand consulting, priced at $68,000 per year for two servers, with incremental servers subscriptions at $1,000 each.
Developer Access Release: The LucidWorks Enterprise software is available in a limited distribution Developer Access Release, free of charge. Developers that want to test drive LucidWorks Enterprise for development purposes may submit an application to access the limited distribution. An unlimited distribution for registered users will be announced at a future date.
LucidWorks is the commercial company exclusively dedicated to Apache Solr/Lucene open source enterprise technology. The company provides enterprise-grade subscriptions for search solution development platforms built on open source, along with free software for developers, documentation, commercial-grade support, high-level consulting and comprehensive training for companies tapping the power of Solr and Lucene enterprise search. Customers include AT&T, Sears, Ford, Verizon, Cisco, Zappos, The Guardian, The Smithsonian Institution, The Motley Fool, Macy’s, Qualcomm, Taser, eHarmony, and many other household names around the world. Lucid Imagination is a privately held venture-funded company. The investors include Shasta Ventures, Granite Ventures, Walden International and In-Q-Tel. Learn more about the company at lucidworks.com.