Global Interest in Lucene/Solr Conference Interest Driven by Need to Harness Overwhelming Influx of ‘Big Data’
SAN FRANCISCO, CA–(Marketwire – May 25, 2011) – LucidWorks [formerly Lucid Imagination], the commercial company for Apache Lucene and Apache Solr search technology, is pleased to announce that Lucene Revolution, the largest gathering of technologists, thought leaders and market makers driving the growth of Apache Lucene/Solr open source search technology, opened today in San Francisco with nearly 500 attendees packing over 40 technical sessions and keynotes. With the combined growth of structured and unstructured data at an all-time high, Lucene/Solr’s unmatched capabilities for building flexible, cost-effective, scalable search applications are shaping the future of search for technologists across sectors and industries around the world. Supporting that global demand, LucidWorks has opened the call for participation for Apache Lucene Eurocon, the European counterpart to Lucene Revolution. Apache Lucene Eurocon will take place in October.
Tweet this: Nearly 500 attendees pack the house at Lucene Revolution 2011 San Francisco, http://bit.ly/mkyvP0
Tweet this: Apache Lucene Eurocon Barcelona 2011 Call For Participation now open, http://bit.ly/iBQJJw
Highlights of Lucene Revolution, now in its second year, include:
- Attendees from as far as Japan, Egypt, Australia, India and Argentina, along with hundreds of users and developers from the world’s leading economies.
- Rich selection of practical ‘how to’ sessions for search application developers, covering document result customization, rapid prototyping, designing user interfaces, applying analytics, scaling distributed search, migrating from commercial software to open source search, considering search vs. traditional relational databases, among the 40+ talks.
- Leading-edge innovators such as Yammer, EMC, AT&T, Travelocity, Etsy.com, The Guardian, Yelp, CareerBuilder, Trulia, TheLadders, Intuit, eHarmony and Ebay, among others, presenting diverse use cases and technical talks.
- Case Studies spanning the breadth of search such as improved results for law enforcement, online dating, real-estate, job hunting, retail, legal references, online yellow pages directories — all at the forefront of delivering faster, more relevant information for more users.
- 6 sold-out training workshops for developers to hone their skills on Lucene, Solr, LucidWorks Search and Hadoop.
The next major Lucene/Solr community event, Apache Lucene Eurocon Barcelona in October 2011 will be dedicated to the European community of Lucene/Solr users and developers. Apache-Lucene Eurocon offers a platform for convening leading developers in open source search technology, for networking, training, and a range of in-depth technical sessions and case studies. The Call For Papers is now open, and can be found at http://2011.lucene-eurocon.org . Proceeds from the European conference benefit The Apache Software Foundation.
“IDC is predicting nearly 45-fold data growth by 2020  — and the other half of the story is the diversity of the data. It used to be that traditional databases provided predictable structure of content and in predictable formats, but today, that’s not all there is to it,” said Eric Gries, CEO of LucidWorks. “With emails, tweets, spreadsheets, websites, social networks and more now in the mix, organizations are realizing the community-driven innovation of Lucene/Solr open source search is uniquely suited to the required pace of innovation. We’re honored to bring together some of the biggest names shaping the future of search in what have quickly become two of the must-attend conferences: Lucene Revolution and Apache Lucene Eurocon.”
LucidWorks is the commercial company exclusively dedicated to Apache Lucene/Solr open source enterprise search technology. It provides search solution development platforms built on the power of Lucene/Solr open source search via enterprise-grade subscriptions. The company’s latest offering, LucidWorks Search, makes the power of Solr/Lucene open source search more accessible to the broad range of application developers and slashes the learning curve for search solution development. Unlike “black box” products, LucidWorks Search allows organizations of all sizes and types to continuously tune their search to fit the ongoing needs of their users and achieve a consistently lower cost of growth. LucidWorks also offers free software for developers, documentation, commercial-grade support, high-level consulting, and comprehensive training. Customers include AT&T, Sears, Ford, Verizon, Cisco, Zappos, Raytheon, The Guardian, The Smithsonian Institution, Salesforce.com, The Motley Fool, Qualcomm, Taser, eHarmony, and many other household names around the world. LucidWorks is a privately held venture-funded company. The investors include Shasta Ventures, Granite Ventures, Walden International, and In-Q-Tel. Learn more about the company at www.lucidworkscopy.wpengine.com.