Many of us tend to hate or simply ignore logs, and rightfully so: they’re typically hard to find, difficult to handle, and are cryptic to the human eye. But can we make logs more valuable and more usable if we index them in Solr, so we can search and run real-time statistics on them? Indeed we can, and in this session you’ll learn how to make that happen.
In the first part of the session, “Using Solr to Search and Analyze Logs,” Radu Gheorghe, Software Engineer at Sematext, will explain why centralized logging is important – what valuable information one can extract from logs, and he’ll introduce the leading tools from the logging ecosystems everyone should be aware of – from syslog and log4j to LogStash and Flume. In the second part he’ll teach you how to use these tools in tandem with Solr. He will demonstrate how to use Solr in a SolrCloud setup to index large volumes of logs continuously and efficiently. Then, he’ll show you how to scale the Solr cluster as your data volume grows. Finally, he’ll demonstrate how you can parse your unstructured logs and convert them to nicely structured Solr documents suitable for analytical queries.
This introductory level session will take place from 2:50-3:35 on Wednesday, November 6. Click here for more details.
About the Speaker:
Radu Gheorghe (@radu0gheorghe) is a software engineer at Sematext, where he works on Logsene, a data&log analytics product. He is co-authoring ElasticSearch in Action. Besides fiddling with Solr and ElasticSearch, he enjoys ballroom dancing with his wife and playing the guitar with his son.
- For more information about Lucene/Solr Revolution EU, visit lucenerevolution.org.
- For more Road to Revolution posts, click here.
- To view the full session agenda, click here.
- To register for the conference, click here.
- To get the latest conference news and updates, follow @LuceneSolrRev on Twitter.
- Do you have a question about the conference? Do you want to be added to the conference mailing list? Are you interested in sponsoring Revolution? If so, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lucene/Solr Revolution is presented by Lucidworks, the commercial entity for Apache Lucene/Solr open source search — the future of search technology.